[Qgis-developer] Re: Qgis for Openmoko ?

Steven Bell botsnlinux at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:11:53 EDT 2009

> > Hi list,
> >
> > I would like to know if there was some project to port Qgis on arm
> > smartphones like the Openmoko Freerunner. This would bring free
> > smartphones a great mobile gis tool.
> > I do not know if there is a lot of work to do or not.
> >
> > There is already a port of Gvsig mobile (java based), with basic
> > features (load shapefiles, choose projection, load wms, connect to
> > gps and autocenter):
> > http://gvsigmobileonopenmoko.wordpress.com/
> > This tool is very promising, but for me it lacks the ability to be
> > easily extended as qgis is with python plugins (or using qgis core
> > for one specific application). And I am not a java fan :D
> >
> > For those who do not know the Openmoko project , have a look here:
> > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page
> > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner
> >
> > Kimaidou (was michael douchin in this list before), owner of a Neo
> > Freerunner
> >

> Marco Hugentobler has already made a basic port of QGIS to openMoko.
> Its not released anywhere yet and has only basic functionality. In
> order to do a more complete port it would be needed to build up an
> entirely new UI suitable for the mobile platform.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

I have a Nokia N810, which has a lot of similarities to the Freerunner: GPS,
very high dpi touchscreen, Linux-based OS, etc.
I've been thinking for quite some time about running QGIS on it, because the
potential of a mobile GIS is amazing.  My concern is that full-blown QGIS
isn't going to run very nicely on either the Freerunner or the N810.  I
routinely work with several raster layers and large vector layers, which is
enough to humble my laptop.  With 128 MB of RAM and a 400MHz processor, I
expect QGIS to run unbearably slowly, even with smaller layers.  Maybe Marco
has evidence to the contrary; if so, that would be great!

I've been pondering an application designed from the ground up as a mobile
GIS.  As Tim pointed out, the UI has to be redesigned.  Some other shortcuts
would need to be taken to improve rendering speed.  My thinking has been
focused on field cartography for orienteering maps, but it could probably be
extended to handle general GIS work.  Right now, I'm just getting my feet
wet with mobile development, but I'll keep you all updated on my plans and
progress.
Steven