[Qgis-developer] hackfest

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Mar 24 15:58:28 EDT 2009

Hi Paolo

Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all.
> Thanks for your efforts at the hackfest. I hope you enjoyed it a lot. We
> already got some money from our donors programme, and I'm confident
> we'll have enough to organize another fest not too far in the future (I
> think twice a year would be good, do you agree?).

Yes we discussed this at the hackfest. We would like to hold our next on
in Prague in October 09. To do this we need to raise an average of USD
$500 per developer attending. Assuming 10 developers that means we will
need to raise $ USD 5000 to make this happen. We would like to also
encourage non developers to come because it was extremely useful having
them in Hannover and there are many hackfest activities they can
contribute with including documentation cleanups, translations, giving
inputs to user interface and user interaction ideas. It would also be
great to have a dedicated non-dev to do the blogging, media etc next
time. Someone with a bit of media skills and a good eye for presentation
would be great.

>I think it would be
> very good if:
> - one of you could write a press report on the successes of the fest: if
> it is clear that such things help effectively, people will be happier
> donating; I'll translate it in Italian and propagate to the IT community
> and magazines

I did quite a lot of work blogging about the event, making interviews
with developers etc during the event. I wont have any more time to
create press releases etc since I need to work like a dog to catch up
the time missed for the hackfest now. :-( There is a whole heap of
material on the blog that anyone is welcome to use for the purpose
including a nice group shot (sorry Marco wasnt there for the photo :-( )

> - a 1.0.2 could be released real soon, so to make it clear it is one of
> the results of the fest; I do not think there should be any problem, as
> I'm regularly using trunk, and I think it is even more stable than 1.0.1.
> Thanks a lot.

I still have not even officially announced version 1.0.1 since we are
waiting on a few packages. I think we can do 1.0.2 in a month or so.
Assuming I have got the shiny new mingw package online, I will announce
1.0.1 this weekend.

Regards

Tim

- --