[Qgis-developer] [Fwd: [SoC] Mentors, sign up now!]

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Mar 27 14:00:02 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Gary Sherman <sherman at mrcc.com> wrote:
>> Martin, I would welcome a proposal for labeling improvements.

> - options whether to label every part of multi-part geometry
> - tool for overriding default placement and settings of labels

 A quick hack for people who want to do these things now (for polygons) is to:

 * load desired polygon layer. Turn labelling off.
 * Use fTools to create a point shapefile of centroids - you get one
point per feature
 * Load the point shapefile and set labelling on for it
 * Enable editing and use the edit tools to move the point to adjust
the label position
 * set the point layer appearance to 'no pen' and 'no brush' so the
points don't show, only the labels.
 * put the point and polygon layer in a group so it is easily turn off
and onable.
 * profit?!

Barry