[Qgis-developer] tabbed interface

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon May 4 16:36:09 EDT 2009

Hi

So as Martin said the tabs were removed in the cleanup phase for 1.0
release. The intention was to reinstate them when we had an actual
multi-view implementation to accompany them. I would very much like to
see the composer embedded into a tab instead of popping up a separate
main window. And of course there is the 3d view coming down the line.
I'd also like to see the georef plugin able to funtion as two side by
side map views since the interface is a little awkward at the moment.

As mentioned on the IRC channel we could also consider using dock
widgets instead of tabs because they may give us all the functionality
we want since they can be:
- - stacked like tabs
- - placed side by side for view against view comparison stuff
- - torn of for floating windows

As Martin also mentioned the main thing we need to do is revise the
architecture so that we can have multiple canvases without breaking
existing tools.

One more thing to consider is how to deal with layer instances that are
share accross canvases. I can see these scenarios:

- - add a layer to a canvas and drag it onto another canvas using a
modifier key e.g. ctl to copy it over and keep symbology syncronised

- - add a layer to a canvas and drag it onto another canvas using a
different modifier key e.g. alt to copy it over and keep symbology
UNsyncronised

- - do the same without modifier to move a layer from one canvas to another

- - add a layer using conventional dialog to a canvas and ensure that
registry has a unique instance for each time layer was added

We also need to account for the use case scenario where a user wants two
copies of the same canvas just rendered at different scales - much like
the overview currently does.

We also have to add infrastructure to dynamically change legends as
canvas focus changes, or embed the legend as part of a more complex
canvas widget.

Regards

Tim