[Qgis-developer] Can't install qgis on Ubuntu 9.04

Henri De Feraudy feraudyh at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 6 11:08:52 EST 2009

Hello,
 This should be very simple, but somehow the package qgis does not seem to be known to my installation of Ubuntu.

Reminder: as some of us have already noticed on this mailing list, the Ubuntu x86 binaries for Ubuntu Karmic Koala are not there.

As a result I went looking for an installation disk of the previous release of Ubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope) and found one in a book that was sold in a local bookshop.
So I installed the previous release of Ubuntu.
Then I looked at the Ubuntu homepage for instructions which are available
here
https://launchpad.net/~qgis/+archive/stable

So I launch the Synaptic package manager and
open it up and launch the software source window, and select the
"third party software" tab. (BTW my Ubuntu is in French so my translations of titles are guesses)
I then use the add button to add the following two lines as indicated on
the aforementioned URL:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/qgis/stable/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/qgis/stable/ubuntu jaunty main

then in my terminal I type this
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 68436DDF
this takes a while and it seems to work well.
then I click on the Reload button of Synaptic
I get a message saying it loads 51 files, but I can repeat clicking on this
indefinitely, it keeps on saying it reloads 51 files (how strange).
Then, inside Synaptic I do a search for qgis.
The only package it comes up with is gpx2shp, when I was expecting qgis to show up.

What on earth is going on?
Henri