[Qgis-developer] QGIS on Maemo/Nokia N900

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 08:30:50 EST 2009

2009/11/14 Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>

> Thanks to all who answered so far.
>
> Tim: the N900 is a mobile phone. Past devices for the maemo platform came
> without phone support,  but the N900 is really a phone (UMTS, GPRS, Edge,
> WCDMA, HSPA, WLAN). The N900 can also be used for tethering (internet
> connection for laptop). It also seems to support various connectors: USB,
> Bluetooth, TV out, etc.
> http://www.nokia.ch/produkte/alle-modelle/nokia-n900/funktionen (probably
> you have to switch to your local webpage)
>
> A separate GUI for mobile devices would be great. It should have reduced
> functionality and maybe the touch-screen interface requires different UI
> approaches, because touching is not that accurate than mouse-pointers or
> pens. I think it would be useful to collect a list of expected functionality
> for mobile phones, maybe on the Wiki:
>
> I can start here what I would expect from QGIS for smartphones:
>
> * a usable UI for touch-screens
> * basic map display and navigation
> * moving map with link to GPS
> * GPS recording and playback
> * support for georeferenced photos and videos (the N900 has photo/video
> support)
> * basic editing (mainly point features, points of interest)
> * Spatialite support (for offline use)
>
> This is just a starter ;-) but it is clear that it needs some time to get
> to a usable state.

Most of these features are already implemented in maemo-mapper.

Maemo-mapper supports:

* many web tiles systems (OSM, yahoo, VE etc.)
* WMS (with proj4)
* GPX
* POIs

 but it does not support

* other raster or vector data providers
* photos
* linestring or polygon editing

What is not still clear to me is when maemo will fully switch to QT, I'm not
sure but it seems like the version that will be shipped with N900 (who knows
when ?!!!) will still be GTK based.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it