[Qgis-developer] OGR feature styling support in QGIS?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Nov 16 13:55:27 EST 2009

Hi QGIS developers,

We are planning to contract with Frank Wamerdam for a limited dxf
reader/writer and a SVG writer for OGR. Frank is also offering OGR
feature styling, which is useful to preserve line widths, text
properties, text rotation, etc. OGR feature styling is f.e. supported by
Mapserver and OpenEV, according to Frank. I wonder if you would have
plans to eventually support OGR feature styling as well, in which case I
would try to finance the feature styling for dxf as well. Other formats
were feature-styling is supported in OGR are DGN and Mapinfo.

We already have data-defined styling based on attribute columns in QGIS,
so maybe this mechanism can somehow be re-used and extended to support
OGR feature styling as well?

See http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html for more details. If
you have any specific questions on feature styling I am pretty sure that
Frank can answer it.

Thanks for any feedback,
Andreas