[Qgis-developer] Can not load a shp file with QgsVectorLayer

Lutfi Oduncuoglu lutfioduncuoglu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 04:59:04 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am a newbie about qgis I am trying to load a vector layer from a shape
file. I can load it from add layer button but can not load from the plugin I
am tryin to write. My code is below:

  def unload(self):
    # Remove the plugin menu item and icon
    self.iface.removePluginMenu("&Read shp for calculations",self.action)
    self.iface.removeToolBarIcon(self.action)
  # run method that performs all the real work
  def run(self):

    fileName =
QFileDialog.getOpenFileName(None,QString.fromLocal8Bit("Select a file:"),"",
"*.shp *.gml")
    if fileName.isNull():

      QMessageBox.information(None, "Cancel", "File selection canceled")

    else:

      vlayer = QgsVectorLayer( fileName, "hebe", "ogr")
      provider = vlayer.dataProvider()
      feat = QgsFeature()
      allAttrs = provider.attributeIndexes()
      provider.select(allAttrs)

      while provider.nextFeature(feat):
        geom = feat.geometry()
        print "Feature ID %d: " % feat.id()

This piece of code returns nothing to me. What is wrong here.

Thanks for help