[Qgis-developer] working with temporal data

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Aug 1 23:49:02 EDT 2010

On 08/01/2010 03:48 AM, Anita Graser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Few days ago, I stumbled upon this new ESRI tool to work with temporal
> data:
> http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgis/archive/2010/04/16/New-experience-and-tools-for-working-with-temporal-data.aspx
>

> Such a tool would be really useful for my work any many others too I
> believe. So, I've been thinking about writing a python plugin that
> basically adjusts the layers subsetString to the chosen time frame. But
> before I start coding, I'd like to ask your opinion on what would be the
> best way to implement such a functionality and maybe somebody already
> implemented it or something similar.
>
> On a related topic: I'd also be interested in a "Save as Animation"
> functionality similar to "Save as Image". Do you think it's reasonable
> to implement such a functionality in Python? Do you know any libraries
> worth considering for this job?
>
> Best wishes,
> Anita

Sounds like a great idea. The only thing I can think is to somehow cache
the timeframes to make it faster, and some sort of cool timeline widget
to slide with handles to make time windows and bar graph amount of data
per time.

As for animation, and animated gif of 12 frames would be easy, other
methods start to get very complicated, especially when talking cross
platform. Check to see if qt has anything. I'll poke around to see what
might be plausible.

Thanks,
Alex