[Qgis-developer] QGIS / OSGeo System Services

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 17 10:19:43 EST 2010

Folks,

The OSGeo System Administration Committee (SAC) is working on migrating
some of our services to OSL, to a virtual machine based environment.

At this point it becomes practical to offer projects that need substantial
services beyond those normally provided by OSGeo/SAC with a virtual machine
they can manage themselves within their project - if there is a need.

My question is whether there is a need for this for the QGIS project.

Currently I am aware of QGIS hosting a joomla instance - currently on
osgeo2 which uses mysql.  Skimming the web site I also see a web site,
php forum, blog - are these part of joomla?  Hosted elsewhere?  Also,
I think there is some sort of plugin repository - how is this hosted?

Note that the "standard" OSGeo system services would continue to be
hosted and managed by SAC in other VMs/systems (Trac, SVN, download).

Does the QGIS project have additional custom system services hosted at
telascience or elsewhere that you would be interested in hosting in a
project managed VM?  Are there service you would like to deploy but have
held back for lack of somewhere stable and self-managed to put them?

Best regards,