[Qgis-developer] Unloading and reloading of plugins

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 14:36:57 EST 2010

Hi Richard

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net> wrote:

> for me, the python-console-option is actually enough, I'm developing one
> plugin at a time anyway, and am already very, very happy with this option.
>
> But he, if you're in the mood don't let me stop you ...
>
> Like Borys I would say: keep the gui simple. And maybe do not put it in the
> normal menu's. It's only for developers isn't it? Then put it in the python
> console? Most 'Normal users' would not be interested in this feature I
> think.
>
> My idea for the gui:
> In the console: one button "reload plugin(s)" and a dropdown with all
> plugins loaded and one item 'All'.

My idea was to add this functionality as a plugin for python
developers - average users probably wouldn't understand the
functionality nor use it. And I'm wondering whether it makes sense to
reload all plugins. Instead I would prefer to select a plugin and have
an action to reload it (with configurable shortcut).

Later such plugin could include more functionality that would make
plugin developer's work easier - just think of an integrated debugger
that would enable to walk through plugin's variables at any time or
allow inspection of the problem on an exception :-)

Anyone interested to implement such a plugin? ;-)

Bye
Martin