[Qgis-developer] tabbed monitors

Germán Carrillo carrillo.german at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 16:47:32 EST 2010

Hi all.

The approach of the maps connected is indeed close to the Mirror map plugin
from Aaron Racicot [1]. Maybe it lacks a way of set the symbology for the
layers in the new map (qml?). I guess a legend for each map could be a good
idea, hiding it at first and then showing it from a button. The legend of
the new maps could be just to set the order of the layers and its properties
(state, symbology, more?).

I don't know what is the difference between this and the tabbed interface.
Maybe the last could be to allow two different data sets on the same QGIS
session.

Just to contribute.

Germán

--------------------
[1] http://www.reprojected.com/geoblog/2009/02/17/mirrormap/

2010/1/23 Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com>

> 2010/1/22 Sjur Kolberg <Sjur.A.Kolberg at sintef.no>:
> > We are developing a distributed hydrological model framework, which
> simulates spatio-temporal dynamic processes, usually with discharge from a
> set of subcatchments as the final target. This framework has just been
> decided to become an Open Source project, but is not yet established as
> such.
> >
> > For each time step, the model simulates a large number of variables and
> states that would be interesting to monitor, almost like an animation, but
> as the simulation goes. It would be very useful in subjective model
> diagnostics to select some of these, and see the simultaneous development of
> i.e. precipitation, snow storage, soil water and runoff maps. It would be
> desirable to have some sort of connected zoom, ensuring that all the map
> windows show the same area.
> >
> > I have not even started to implement such a map interface module, but the
> idea of doing this through an existing GIS program has been there for a long
> time. At the moment, the system offers no display of maps or time series
> graphs.
> >
> > For sure the ease of handling many map windows separately and as a group
> will determine how well a GIS can serve as front end to the hydrological
> model framework. Tabbed monitors would go some of the way, even better would
> be multiple canvases or one multi-map canvas split in 4 or 6 sub-windows
> with connected zoom and updating capability.
>
> Hi Sjur
>
> creation of such a frontend should be easy with QGIS libraries with
> any recent QGIS version (>= 1.0) either using C++ or Python. I believe
> the best approach for you would be to create a standalone application
> with several map canvas widgets that would share the current extent
> and update regularly.
>
> Regards
> Martin

  |\__