[Qgis-developer] New API for access to vector features

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jul 5 09:58:35 EDT 2010

Martin Dobias wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> from our recent discussion on gdal-dev [1] I've got the impression
> that for allowing second or any further iterator (all active at the
> same time), the OGR provider could create a clone of its OGRLayer and
> thus do each iteration in a separate instance of OGRLayer. By making a
> clone of OGRLayer I mean to open a new one with the same input
> parameters.
>
> [1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2010-June/025012.html

Martin,

I'm sorry for not addressing the clone point in that thread.  Unfortunately
the cloning ability described in RFC 16 was not approved and implemented so
there is no way to do such an operation.

If there is someone willing to do much of the heavy lifting, I'd be
interested in relaunching RFC 16.  If we want it in GDAL/OGR 1.8 it would
need to be addressed fairly soon.  I'll help, but I don't currently have
any client interest in the work so someone else would need to do the bulk
of the work.

Best regards,