[Qgis-developer] New developments QGIS mapserver

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Thu Jul 8 04:54:21 EDT 2010

Hi devs

I'd like to announce some news from the QGIS mapserver project
(http://karlinapp.ethz.ch/qgis_wms/). The new version contains some
improvements that are really convenient, especially for QGIS desktop users:

- It is now possible to publish a QGIS project as a WMS by moving the project
file (qgs) to the same directory as the QGIS mapserver executable.
QGIS mapserver then will pick up exactly the same settings as in the project
file (including symbology-ng, labeling-ng, scale dependent visibility, ...). So
it is now very easy to setup a WMS server with QGIS desktop / QGIS mapserver.

However, keep attention to save absolute pathes to the project file, otherwise
the server cannot find file based layers and svg symbols. Also, it is important
that project layers have the right CRS assigned.

- QGIS mapserver now provides the GetLegendGraphics operation. If there is a
composer legend in the project file, QGIS mapserver tries to take the font
settings from there.

- Legend groups in the project files are exported as WMS layer groups

- Performance has been improved by caching the content of the configuration file
and the coordinate systems for epsg numbers. Like that, frequent file  access
to config file and srs.db can be avoided.
Also, the alpha channel is now only used if the WMS transparent parameter is
true. So now, performance is quite fast.

As soon as QGIS 1.5 is out and we have binary packages, I'll do another
announcement also on the user list. At the moment, it is necessary to compile
from source (so ideal for early adopters). But it is very convenient with
cmake (thanks to Tim).

The source code can be downloaded with a git client: 'git clone
http://github.com/pka/qgis_map_server.git'. In the cmake variables, insert the
location of the QGIS libs, headers and providers and your fcgi dir.
Then do 'make', 'sudo make install'.

Finally I'd like to thank the city of Uster for funding these developments, as
well as the European FP6 projects Orchestra (http://www.eu-orchestra.org/) and
SANY (http://sany-ip.eu/) for funding the initial development of QGIS
mapserver.

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Webereistrasse 66, 8134 Adliswil, Switzerland