[Qgis-developer] GoogleLayers

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gista.sk
Tue Jun 1 07:58:36 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 01 June 2010, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice GoogleLayers returns an image resembling a square, which
> doesn't fill the extents of the display. Is it possible for the plugin
> to fetch an image matching the bounding box of the display?

No, limit of Google static API is 640x640 pixels.  This is the best we can get from here. Only one possibility is to
create image from series of tiles, but I am not sure if  such dirty bypassing of Google limit is good idea. Remember,
they can change rules to stop us and we can delete whole plugin.

> I also
> notice satellite images are fetched as PNG. I thought JPEG was more
> appropriate for this type of imagery.

Yes, it can be JPEG, I have this in my todo.

--
Ivan Mincik