[Qgis-developer] What is the IDE for development QGIS?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 14:09:12 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 9:49 PM, salas <fsalas at geocuba.cu> wrote:
> Hello, I am new in this list.I want to develop some tools on QGIS, I have
> read some bibliography but until this moment I have not been able to find on
> which IDE QGIS is developed. I know that gvSig is programmed in Eclipce, the
> same as Kosmo,uDIG, but I don't know for QGIS. For to program in C++ exist
> Visual Studio, Code Gear, among others, but they are not open source.
> Please, In which IDE QGIS is developed?

 You don't need an IDE to develop software, and I think it is wrong
for a project to impose an IDE onto developers since choice of IDE is
a matter of personal preference. I feel sick when a project's build
requirements starts with "First install Eclipse (you need version
2.3.431 from the latest SVN sources)" or similar.

 If you want you can develop Qgis using Notepad.exe and compile from
the C: prompt. Or you might be able to use Eclipse. Personally, I edit
stuff in Emacs and build from the command line.

 The Qt GUI designer, "designer", is used for making dialogs but that
doesn't extend to code.

Barry