[Qgis-developer] Noticeable delays when editing on a remote

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Fri Mar 19 11:07:19 EDT 2010

Hi Martin,

Martin Dobias wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Martin Spott <Martin.Spott at mgras.net> wrote:

>> What strikes me is the action of fetching every object (1347 objects in
>> this case, most layers are a lot more dense) in a 20x20 degree !! box
>> (that's magnitudes wider than the current view), which happens three
>> times: On selecting the object to be edited, on selecting the node to
>> be moved, on actually moving the node.
>>
>> Does fetching from such a huge region happen intentionally ?

> please check in Options > Digitising > Snapping - what values are set
> there? I believe you just need to correct the units (e.g. use 10
> pixels search radius instead of 10 map units).

Indeed, swapping from map units to pixels makes a significant
difference - an excellent hint !

Looks like this one's been pretty easy for you - but I'm having a
second one in the queue  ;-)

I'm experiencing a (now) smaller but still noticeable delay when
clicking onto a node with the node tool for the first time while in
edit mode (inserting the red squares into every node of the polygon) as
well as when clicking onto the same node again (turning the single
square into blue) and keeping the mose button pressed while starting to
move.

When doing so with a layer imported from a local Shapefile, I'm seeing
the red squares almost instantly upon first clicking and when I'm
starting to move the node it'll also turn into blue and I'm seeing the
blue line segments almost instantly as well. Nevertheless, these two
actions are still delayed when editing the remove PostGIS layer even
though there's not a single SQL query sent to the DB server while doing
so.

Do you have such a nice hint for this one as well ?

Thanks,

	Martin.