[Qgis-developer] Native file dialog bugs and the new Save As Vector functionality.

John C. Tull jctull at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 12:09:26 EDT 2010

On Mar 20, 2010, at 3:33 AM, Borys Jurgiel wrote:

> Dnia piątek, 19 marca 2010 o 22:51:46 John C. Tull napisał(a):
>> Hi Borys,
>>
>> You've made some good points. Seems likely something that the broader
>> community should weigh in on.
>>
>> From my perspective, I agree that the multi-dialog window thing is unusual.
>> On the other hand, the problems that are created from the qt dialogs on my
>> OS are more annoying. Perhaps this needs to be a user-configurable option.
>> Have both types of dialog available based on a choice in the application
>> options. Is this feasible?
>
> Of course it is. Choosing between two poor options still isn't a real
> solution, but may be a workaround for now. For 2.0 I'd love to think out one
> consistent solution for opening, creating and updating data sources (a
> separate subsystem with metadata browser, search engine, some ideas from arc
> catalog?).

I agree that a better solution is needed. For me, forcing non-native dialogs would be regressive, simply because the qt dialogs do such a poor job of handling volumes on OS X, wreck the ui consistency, etc. The interim solution seems to be making it a choice until something better can be designed.

Regarding your thoughts on arc catalog, you should look at Gary's geo-apt browser he is developing, if you have not already. This might spark some ideas.
http://mrcc.com/geoapt-browser/

Cheers,
John