[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] CRS for a start

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 19:14:31 EDT 2010

Hello All,

> MN> I mean in QGIS I can open now a holiday photo, go to layer properties
> MN> and get an impresion from it's metadata, that it is already
> MN> georeferenced:
> MN> "Layer Spatial Reference System:
> MN> +proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +no_defs"
> MN> which is of course not true. But we have to think about novice GIS
> MN> users who might either go dizzy or get bad habits.
> I agree, the layer properties should not use this as default if prj is
> missing or should clearly indicate somehow that this is a guessed CRS,
> not necessarily a real one.
I agree as well. In case of no prj or other CRS information and no
default CRS defined, it would likely be best if the CRS was set to
"Unknown (Assumed Geographic)" or something like this. It wouldn't be
too hard to add this to the current CRS db as an additional available
CRS, and when users have a quick look at a layer's CRS, they will
instantly see that they have to properly define the CRS if they want
to use the layer properly.

Just my two cents!

Carson

--