[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] CRS for a start

Maciej Sieczka msieczka at sieczka.org
Mon Mar 22 15:01:04 EDT 2010

Carson Farmer pisze:
 > Maxim pisze:
 >> Milena pisze:

>>> I mean in QGIS I can open now a holiday photo, go to layer properties
>>> and get an impresion from it's metadata, that it is already
>>> georeferenced:
>>> "Layer Spatial Reference System:
>>> +proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +no_defs"
>>> which is of course not true. But we have to think about novice GIS
>>> users who might either go dizzy or get bad habits.

>> I agree, the layer properties should not use this as default if prj is
>> missing or should clearly indicate somehow that this is a guessed CRS,
>> not necessarily a real one.

> I agree as well. In case of no prj or other CRS information and no
> default CRS defined, it would likely be best if the CRS was set to
> "Unknown (Assumed Geographic)" or something like this.

Don't assume anything would be my preferred bahaviour. If the
georeference is missing, tell it to the user and let him choose the
right one. If the georeference seems to be present but is not
understanable/ambigous for QGIS, I'd like QGIS be verbose about it and
let the user choose a CRS.

Maciek

--
Maciej Sieczka