[Qgis-developer] manageR roadmap

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Wed May 19 09:03:06 EDT 2010

This is a bit of a continuation from the thread entitled:
[Qgis-developer] problems with SDA4PP plugin:

A bit of info on the direction I'm taking manageR:
manageR is (in the longer term) designed to be an R leaning tool for
GIS users, so the goal is really to have the user know they are using
R upfront. Having said that, manageR does support (it's a bit clunky
at the moment, but I'm getting there) plugins, so that if someone
wants, they can create GUIs for R functions similar to those available
via SDA4PP, but which still keeps the focus on 'seeing how R does it'.
I'm going to be using managR to teach R to non-stats folks by allowing
them to perform some common analyses with the GUI features, and then
providing the means to export the actual R code to scripts which they
can then use to automate tasks and learn how to use R effectively in
their own research. Eventually I'll have GUIs for R functions for
remote sensing, point pattern analysis, modeling, etc. Some GUIs are
already available, and I'm slowly adding more and more each day
(starting with spdep). In fact, if anyone in the QGIS community has
some R functions that they regularly use that might be helpful to
others, please don't hesitate to send them along, and I'll add them to
the analysis menu of manageR. On that note, I'd also welcome input
from users of manageR, as I've just released a new version with quite
a few changes, and I'd like to hear how it is working on the various
OS etc.
Some new features include:
1) A package manager nearly identical to the one available in the OSX R GUI
2) Additional GUIs for some common R analysis functions (mostly
spatial analysis)
3) A new workspace manager, very similar to the one available in the OSX R GUI
4) The option to use the R raster package for importing raster layers
5) Updated syntax highlighting and auto-completion features (command
and bracket auto-complete)
6) Many bug fixes, and several speed-ups.
7) A few additional features to aid in script writing and export (as
well as some improvement to editR, the R script editor which is part
of manageR).
8) manageR can also now be run as a standalone application (though at
the moment it still requires some of the files in the manageR plugin
folder, so it has to be run from the folder with something like : $
python manageR.py).

Thanks,

Carson

--