[Qgis-developer] Minor Irritations

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Mon Nov 1 08:04:11 EDT 2010

Hi Micha

You had to press the alt-key to include all intersected features (otherwise
only the included were selected). I reversed that in r14476 this morning, now
it selects the intersecting features if no key is pressed.

But for the rest, I really like the new selection tools.

Regards,
Marco

>  I noticed that the new tools select only when I have totally encompassed a
> feature. Previously, I think, when I used the rectangular selection,
> drawing over any part of a feature caused it to be selected. Now I have to
> draw over the whole feature to get it selected. The situation where this
> might not be intuitive is selecting a line segment from a multipart layer.
> You have to somehow know in advance where the segment begins and ends,
> otherwise it's never selected.
>
>  Best regards,
>  Micha
>

> Carson
>

> On 31 October 2010 19:20, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>
>  These may be more opinion than actual issues, just wanted to see what
>  others thought.
>
>  1. When adding a vector layer, you hit browse the default tends to be
>  shapefile, but when you add a raster the default is "All GDAL formats".
>  I think All OGR formats would be a much better default, having to scroll
>  all the time for gml, kml etc is really annoying especially when I'm
>  working hard to break people of the assumption that vector = shapefile.
>
>  2. As pointed out by a colleague: Many people new to GIS have no idea
>  the KML = Keyhole Markup Language, so it's not clear on the Save as..
>  option that is actually KML. The same might be said for GML. Either
>  changing the names in the list or putting (Hint) would seem useful to
> users.
>
>  3. In 1.6 builds (Could be my build from last week) the Select tool does
>  not appear to work the same way(Ctrl fails to add or remove from the
>  selection), and th icon has a new drop down indicator that doesn't seem
>  to work. 2ndary note, I'm all for making clearer icons for tools but it
>  seems excessive to change what they look like every version especially
>  if we're not actually testing new v. old on human test subjects to verify.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Alex
>

>  This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Webereistrasse 66, 8134 Adliswil, Switzerland