[Qgis-developer] easier translation

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Fri Nov 12 07:59:46 EST 2010

Am Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:11:42 +0100
schrieb Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>:

> Il 12/11/2010 12:06, Alexander Bruy ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > sounds interesting. May be this approach also can be used for manual
> > translation?
>
> Sorry, I was unclear: I think linguist works well for GUI
> translation; my suggestion was for manual, where finding new string
> to be translated is a major part of the job, that discourages most
> volunteers. All the best.

For GUI translation Werner and Volker will try to find out during the
hackfest, if it is useful to provide an online translation for the GUI
besides using linguist.

The manual writing and updating with latex seems to be more complex,
and therefore it becomes more and more difficult to find and encourage
people to contribute and translate. I think we need to find a solution
for that, too and maybe it could be a plugin or we switch to something
new.

AFAIK projects such as Mepserver, Geoserver or OSGeo Live use Sphinx.
Don't know if that would work well, especially when we want to
translate the files.

Regards,
 Otto