[Qgis-developer] minimum versions

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gista.sk
Mon Nov 15 04:01:45 EST 2010

On 11/15/2010 12:03 AM, Carson Farmer wrote:
> Hi Devs, I'd like to a get take on the minimum versions for some of
> the software that qgis depends on, namely GEOS, SIP, and GDAL/OGR.
> What is our policy on minimum versions, how often do we update them,
> and how can I find out what they are for the various bits and pieces?
> Do we have any official documents/places where this information is
> stored? I ask because a) recent versions of GEOS>  3.1 have several
> new features like one sided buffers etc that would be quite nice to
> have, and b) the more Pythonic way of interacting with the PyQGIS
> bindings requires a more recent version of SIP>  4.9, which would make
> python plugin development easier and cleaner for all the Pythonistas
> out there...
>
> Thanks in advance for any information,
>
> Carson
Hi Carson, I was trying to discuss this in some earlier posts (currently
I can not find which one). I agree is that this information should be
properly discussed.
It is important for developers and packagers too.

General suggestion for all open source GIS should be to keep them at
least as high as they are in current Debian Stable [1].
All of us want to have new features, devs want to work with new
libraries. But in terms of real enterprise usage, we need stable, tested
system, with minimal changes to core libraries - this is what Debian is
considered as in open source world.

Good news is, that we can go on with Debian Squeeze in some half of year
time.

[1] - http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

--
Ivan Mincik, Gista s.r.o.