[Qgis-developer] manageR plugin: hot wo load R package "sp"

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Nov 19 04:39:17 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 8:26 AM,  <peter.loewe at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> the manageR plugin requires for the action "Import Layer From Canvas" the R package "sp".
>
> The common way to install sp within the manageR CLI fails:
>
>> install.packages("sp")
> Installing package(s) into ‘/home/pel/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.12’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> trying URL 'http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/sp_0.9-72.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 535353 bytes (522 Kb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 522 Kb
>

> The downloaded packages are in
>        ‘/tmp/RtmpOTaSDB/downloaded_packages’
> Warning message:
> In install.packages("sp") :
>  installation of package 'sp' had non-zero exit status
>

> Does anybody know a way to solve this one ?

 What happens when you try this from the R command line from a
terminal window, rather than manageR? Possibly manageR is hiding some
diagnostic messages.

 Since sp is being installed from source, my first suspicion is that
you don't have the requisite C/Fortran compilers on your system. Is it
ubuntu/apt-based? Do "sudo apt-get install build-essential" from a
command line, that should get them.

Barry