[Qgis-developer] Python Plugin Repository

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 18:14:53 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to put into focus the requirements of this project, a couple of
> questions before start writing code:
> * should we use this page http://www.qgis.org/wiki/PluginRepository for
> specs or directly put them on github ?

I have updated that wiki page, hopefully making it more clear what
functionality should the new repository offer. In summary these are
the main proposed improvements:
- user logins from osgeo ldap
- easier uploading of plugins (no manual setting of versions etc.)
- more owners for one plugin
- changelogs for new versions
- counting of downloads
- simple online portal for viewing plugins
- trusted/untrusted users - to make it more complicated to publish
plugins with malicious code
- rewrite to Django - potentially larger group of devs being able to
maintain the application than with Ruby on Rails

The feature set is open for the discussion, anyway I would like to
keep the number of features as low as possible for first version.
Volunteers are welcome to start coding :-)

Regards
Martin