[Qgis-developer] loading PostGIS layers

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 12:54:53 EST 2010

Hi Paolo

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Hi all.
> Currently, PostGIS Manager is an enormously useful tool. I would recommend its
> inclusion in trunk. To be fully usable, however, users would need also the utility
> shp2pgsql. AFAIK, this cannot be installed alone on windows, but apparently require
> the installation of PostgreSQL and PostGIS (I may be wrong - I do not know Windows).
> This is of course a major problem.
> Could shp2pgsql be packaged in the standalone installer?

IIRC our discussion at the hackfest, we have concluded that the best
solution would be:
1. implement PostGIS import from any vector layer in core library
2. use that functionality in PostGIS manager + allow multi-file import

This would avoid the necessity for shp2pgsql (pgsql2shp could be
avoided too, by using QgsVectorFileWriter). Moreover, this would allow
us to remove the buggy SPIT plugin, since all its functionality would
be available from postgis manager.

Regards
Martin