[Qgis-developer] Full consistent SVG Icon Set

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Oct 13 11:54:37 EDT 2010

On 10/13/2010 08:42 AM, Vincent Picavet wrote:
> Hi,
> Some QGis users recently pointed me out the fact that the icon set for
> rendering in QGis was not that extensive nor consistent.
> I've recently discovered the following dataset, which is aimed at covering
> OpenStreetMap's needs with Mapnik, but would be great to have in QGIS as
> well :
>
> http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/introduction
>
> On a more general viewpoint, what users stated was that it would be really
> great to have some kind of a centralized icon and style repository, with
> automatic search and retrieval from inside QGis, a bit like what KDE does
> with KDE Hot New Stuff ( http://newstuff.kde.org/repos.php ).
> Are there any current plans on implementing this kind of feature ?
>
> Vincent

There is a movement within the OSGeo community to centralize all the
freely available icons. It's been a little slow to get started but see
the Graphics mailing list http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/graphics

These things tend to not take a ton of space so it's fairly likely that
they would just be included in QGIS, no need to retrieve them from the
web. That said I agree that some way to catalog (keyword) and search for
icons could be quite useful, the big problem is where to stick that
metadata within the svg files.

Thanks,
Alex