[Qgis-developer] Please vote: Proposed extension to 1.7 release schedule

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Apr 1 08:37:15 EDT 2011

Il giorno ven, 01/04/2011 alle 13.27 +0200, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:
> I think it makes sense to separate the two completely. Most QGIS
>  desktop users won't care about a webgis client. And some QGIS Server
>  users may want to run their own webgis viewer or use QGIS Server just as
>  a regular WMS.

Sorry to insist -I do not want to bother. We currently have many
functions that are of limited, specialized use. I think our current
approach (keep everything in one place, and leave to packagers the
choice of splitting packages) is more sane.
For instance, in Debian we have:
===
p   libqgis-dev - Quantum GIS - development files
i A libqgis1.7.0 - Quantum GIS - shared libraries
i A python-qgis - Python bindings to Quantum GIS
i A python-qgis-common - Python bindings to Quantum GIS -
architecture-independent fi
i   qgis - Geographic Information System (GIS)
p   qgis-api-doc - Quantum GIS API documentation
i A qgis-common - Quantum GIS - architecture-independent data
i   qgis-mapserver - Quantum GIS mapserver
i   qgis-plugin-grass - GRASS plugin for Quantum GIS
i   qgis-plugin-grass-common - GRASS plugin for Quantum GIS -
architecture-independent data
i A qgis-providers - collection of data providers to Quantum GIS
i A qgis-providers-common - collection of data providers to Quantum GIS
- architecture-i
p   qgis-sqlanywhere1.7.0 - Quantum GIS sql anywhere plugin and provider
===
so most users will not install, e.g. qgis-sqlanywhere1.7.0, etc.
I think the same could apply to the webgis.
All the best.

--
http://www.faunalia.it/pc