[Qgis-developer] SAGA Interface

gianluca.massei g_massa at libero.it
Fri Apr 1 13:09:51 EDT 2011

Hi Giovanni,
the plugin is in code.google
(http://code.google.com/p/qgis-saga-plugin/). It  Is very experimental
and rough !
Anyway, the code makes a query to the saga-api and collect all the
module for each library for build a complex menu in qgis. The  select of
a non interactive module  print in stdout the  output of "saga_cmd
'library_name' 'module_name' -h". I'm working to build a GUI "on the
fly" from that output.
Yes,  the user need to compile saga with python interface but in future
I think that the maintainer can build an xml file with library, modules
and parameters structure from a  query to saga_api. We can read the xml
file and use the information for a plugin saga_api independent , using
saga_cmd command.
In that way, the user needs only set path for saga_api and install
plugin with only the xml. With a new saga version, the maintainer
generate a new xml file and puts it in plugin.

The C++ approach is realy more perfomance but is more complex and   and
my C++ knowledge isn't so good.