[Qgis-developer] ecw and linux nightly builds

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Apr 21 12:23:57 EDT 2011

On 04/21/2011 06:13 PM, Ramon Andinach wrote:

> On 20/04/2011, at 23:41 , Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>
>> Hi Ramon,
>>
>> On Wed, 20. Apr 2011 at 23:17:07 +0800, Ramon Andinach wrote:
>>> I have also been looking at Jürgen's answer, and if I understand I should
>>> remove the remaining GDAL bits from the 1.6 install and bring in GDAL from
>>> source (which should be what the nightly build is expecting), and hook ecw up
>>> to that. Then it should work. I'm probably misunderstanding - is that right?
>> Not from source.  The nightly builds use the GDAL version from the "original"
>> distribution.
>>
>> My main point of the nighly builds is to test if trunk is building against the
>> various library versions - having usable trunk builds is just a side effect ;)
>>
>> So if you need ECW support, you need to add it to that version.  The version
>> from ubuntugis is probably a different one and therefore not used by nightly
>> build.  And in turn having ECW support for that one, doesn't help.
>>
>> You need to build the GDAL ECW plugin for the "original" GDAL version.  The
>> tuturial can help with that.  And once you added it, QGIS (including coming
>> nighly builds) will be able to use ECW.
> I think I understand. I've had a go trying to turn understanding into practicality today, but for the moment, I'm plain out of time.
>
> Jürgen, for a side-effect, this is the most pleasant one I've met for quite some time.

So the current situation for "regular" GIS users who need support for
ecw is:
On windows -
You have a chance to get ecw support if you were lucky enough to
download the previous ERDAS SDK 4.0 (which is no longer available). The
latest one, 4.1 causes gdal to crash.
On Linux -
You're probably out of luck for now.

--