[Qgis-developer] QGIS Processing Framework

Camilo Polymeris cpolymeris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:13:34 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Soeren Gebbert
<soerengebbert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear qgis developer,
> here are my two cent from the point of view of a GRASS GIS, VTK and
> wps-grass-bridge developer :
>
> IMHO most of these features which are discussed here are covered by
> the Web Processing Service
> http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wps.

Many thanks for the pointer. I am looking into it right now. I kinda
suspected we were reinventing the wheel.

> The support of the OGC WPS standard in QGIS will allow you to:
> - use open standards for interface descriptions
> - Integrate the existing WPS server and there processes (~400?) as
> algorithms into QGIS
> - chain/orchestrate WPS processes from different back-ends
> - directly integrate WFS and WCS sources as inputs without the need of
> local storage
> - Working with QGIS on a silent and long running computer in the
> office while the processing is done on a heavy and fast server in the
> basement

Those are quite convincing arguments. Also, it would have the
advantage of being a clearly defined standard, and probably better
thought-out than what we could come up in short time. Your prototype
looks very nice, too.

Regards,
Camilo