[Qgis-developer] CAPS GIS Desktop Application

Bob English bobengl at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 14:07:09 EDT 2011

Hi All,

With some grant funding, I am developing a PyQGIS desktop application for
the Conservation Assessment and Prioritization System (CAPS).  See
http://www.umass.edu/landeco/research/caps/caps.html for more info.  I've
developed the GUI using PyQt, and I've also got many of the GIS tools
working (i.e layer list, pan, zoom, load rasters and vectors from the file
system etc.).  I'll be putting the code and project specifications on
Sourceforge in the next week or two, and I'll post the project name and url
when I do.

I've noticed that the QgsRasterLayer class included with the  QGIS Stable
1.0 API that came with my QGIS Copiapo installation does not have MrSID
support, although the Copiapo application itself does open MrSID files.  I
suppose it isn't possible to add MrSID support by changing the GDAL version
in the API in code because GDAL is compiled in?  Does the API that comes
with Wroclaw have MrSID support? If not, I guess I could use the Python
bindings for GDAL to create a workaround?

Thanks in advance for any advice.  I'll be monitoring this list from now on,
and I'll try to make some contributions if I have any help I can offer.

Thanks again,
Bob