[Qgis-developer] Shields for Labels

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Aug 8 02:43:02 EDT 2011

 Hi,

 This would be a very interesting feature - I also needed such a feature
 for displaying circles below a letter to label specific parts of a
 multi-geometry feature. I tricked by using Postgis views and rendering
 the layer multiple times. Your solution would be more elegant.

 Another alternative would be to use the text diagrams. Layer properties
 --> Diagrams --> Type text diagrams. You can select one or more
 attributes to be displayed (each attribute a line). But I guess it is
 more suited to labeling area features than line features.

 Regarding implementation: you should probably consult with Martin and
 Marco H. because they worked quite a bit with the labeling engine.

 Regarding SVG:

 * why do you think SVG would be too slow? For placement you would not
 test with SVG but with a rectangle (text bounding box plus some margin).
 For the sole placement, SVG should be fast enough - we already do it
 with point symbols and it works fine.
 * Another interesting option would be to use SVG shields and use the
 SVG parameter syntax, just as Marco recently did with the SVG symbols
 that allow overriding of fill color, stroke-color and stroke-width
 (recent trunk). In the SVG file you would define a place-holder text
 which QGIS would parse and replace the text for the shield with the
 label. This would allow for a lot of flexibility
 * Alternatively, the support of basic shapes (rects, circles, ellipses)
 would be interesting and eliminating the need to create an SVG file

 Looking forward to such a new feature.

 Thanks,
 Andreas

 On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 00:47:07 +0300, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> Is anyone else interested in being able to have shields for labels
> (e.g. to mark highways etc.). I've made an initial stab at it - you
> can see an example and git details in case you want to try it in the
> link below. Is there any interest in getting this into trunk? Maybe a
> better way of doing things? I thought of using SVG shields but I
> think
> it might be a performance killer if you have many labels and each
> needs scaling.
>
> http://linfiniti.com/2011/08/shield-labels-for-qgis/
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release
> Manager)

>  * QGIS programming and support services
>  * Mapserver and PostGIS based hosting plans
>  * FOSS Consulting Services
> Skype: timlinux

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A