[Qgis-developer] Shields for Labels

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Mon Aug 8 11:46:08 EDT 2011

Hi Tim

Cool, shields for labels are very usefull, both with rectangles or with svg
background (probably in future).
Rectangular shields are also well suited as a (computationally) fast
alternative to font buffers.

I didn't yet look into the details of the code. From first tries of the label-
shield branch, it seems to me the shields currently don't appear nicely in
composer printouts. Probably it needs the consideration of the output device

Am Sonntag, 7. August 2011, 23.47:07 schrieb Tim Sutton:
> Hi Folks
> Is anyone else interested in being able to have shields for labels
> (e.g. to mark highways etc.). I've made an initial stab at it - you
> can see an example and git details in case you want to try it in the
> link below. Is there any interest in getting this into trunk? Maybe a
> better way of doing things? I thought of using SVG shields but I think
> it might be a performance killer if you have many labels and each
> needs scaling.
> http://linfiniti.com/2011/08/shield-labels-for-qgis/
> Regards
> Tim

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland