[Qgis-developer] Breaking API and merge of threading branch

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Wed Aug 10 10:36:41 EDT 2011

Hi

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 for starting now.  Better to start early so we and plugin devs can start
>> moving over, esp regarding the multi threading API, then leave it till the
>> end.
>> I think we could also generate some kind of report with API changes,
>> see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6596364/tracking-c-lib-public-api-changes
>> - Nathan
>
> I think a list of removed / renamed classes and functions on one wiki
> page would work best - with suggestions on how to migrate. Plugin
> authors then should be able to find out what happened to their
> favourite pieces of API.
>
> Martin

For 1.0 I made a big fat list of all API changes as a series of rpl commands

http://www.qgis.org/wiki/VisualChangelog1.0.0 (scroll down a bit)

This was hopefully useful to people migrating to the new API since you
could more or less run that on your code and it will realign itself to
changed method names. Not perfect but a starting point. Definately
having a list of api changes would be good. I think if we carefully
note them in doxygen, we could probably find a way to pull them all
out similar to the way doxygen will create todo lists for you etc.

Regards

Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services