[Qgis-developer] slow raster loading

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Aug 11 16:16:02 EDT 2011

Hi

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Giovanni Manghi
<giovanni.manghi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> I'm wrong or after the last commits QGIS is not gathering raster stats
> anymore?

They should be.

> At least in my box the aux.xml files are not created anywhere.

Try going to the histogram tab of your raster properties or do
something else that requires stats. In many cases, stats are not
needed so you may not be seeing thm gathered. Also for read only
medai, the stats should land up in the proxy dir which is set to
~/.qgis/gdal_pam. Otherwise can you give me a specific procedure to
follow to replicate?

Regards

Tim

> Cheers
>
> -- Giovanni --
>

> On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 11:50 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Marco Hugentobler
>> <marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
>> > Btw, is it possible to call computeMinMax() on demand, e.g. in
>> > QgsGDALProvider::minimumValue /maximumValue instead of the provider
>> > constructor?
>> >
>> > It probably does not matter much for the desktop experience. However, for
>> > server throughput, avoidance of opening and parsing the aux.xml file could make
>> > a difference.
>> >

>> I think the overhead for reading the aux.xml file is really minimal
>> and the min/max population of that if its not there is quite quick and
>> a once off event so I wouldnt think it is going to impact the server
>> much. I'd suggest I first run some benchmarks to see how much overhead
>> it adds.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> > Regards,
>> > Marco

>> > --
>> > Dr. Marco Hugentobler
>> > Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
>> > Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
>> > marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch http://www.sourcepole.ch
>> > Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net