[Qgis-developer] least surprise, or: which terms should be used?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Aug 19 02:49:46 EDT 2011

Hi all.
Thanks to Camilo, the analytical framework is now working, and many SAGA modules can
be run smoothly from QGIS. See:
https://github.com/polymeris/qgis/wiki/Module-Support
https://github.com/polymeris/qgis/wiki/Tested-Modules
Still several important things to do, but the structure is in place.
Now we have to think about human interface. One thing is: which terms should be used?
SAGA uses "grid", whereas QGIS uses "raster". To me, the idea is to have a consistent
GUI in QGIS, so better use the QGIS terms not to scare off our users, but this could
be confusing for previous SAGA users. I see this as a minor problema, but I may be wrong.
Your comments will be appreciated.
All the best.