[Qgis-developer] Excel Export from QGIS attribute table

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Dec 1 09:21:41 EST 2011

 Hi,

 Thanks all for your ideas.

 I agree - it makes sense to me to improve and use OGR for this purpose.

 I also tested the idea with the clipboard. On Linux Ubuntu it works
 fine if one copies from the QGIS table and pastes in
 LibreOffice/OpenOffice Calc. On pasting, it opens the CSV dialogue for
 importing.

 FYI: for use with Python Plugins Jürgen added the xlrd/xlwt Python
 module to the OSGeo4W distribution. With these modules at hand it is
 very easy to read and write basic XLS files. Not a solution for the
 core, but definitely interesting for Python Plugins.

 Andreas

 On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 11:50:38 -0200, Etienne Tourigny wrote:
> To add to Even's suggestion,
>
> I think it would be best to improve the xls driver in OGR and
> integrate that into QGis, rather than develop a standalone QGis
> plugin.
> That way you make both better!
>
> Etienne

>> FYI, Sandro Furieri has created a lightweight FreeXL library that
>> can read XLS
>> files. It can be integrated with spatialite (through a VirtualXLS
>> module), or
>> standalone. I've developed in GDAL/OGR 1.9.0 a OGR driver that
>> relies on it. See
>> http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_xls.html for the details and limitations.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Even