[Qgis-developer] My first Qgis plugin - what next?

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Dec 15 16:03:48 EST 2011

Hi Ole

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Ole Nielsen
<ole.moller.nielsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> First up, thanks to everyone who helped me get started last week when I
> tried my hand at writing QGis plugins for the first time. With the help of
> the community and the nice environment QGis provides, it was a pleasant
> experience to take these first steps.
>
> I wish to give back to the FOSS community, so have written a small but
> working plugin that calculates polygon centroids. The reason I picked this
> task is that I had QGis crash when trying to calculate centroids for large
> datasets. A test set with about 47,000 polygon features showing this
> behaviour is OSM_building_footprints_20111115.shp which is available in
> test_data. The new plugin uses numpy vector operations and does the same job
> in about 10 seconds (on my machine), so I think it will be useful. The
> source code, installation instructions, test suite, screen shots and so on
> are available here: http://www.aifdr.org/projects/CentroidPlugin
>
> The plugin still needs some work, mainly on the UI side, and if the
> community finds it useful I hope someone will help doing that. The
> outstanding issues that I know are recorded here tractickets and if anyone
> finds problems and issues, please report them here newticket
>
> I am not sure if this is the right forum for this - if it isn't please let
> me know what the process is for contributing this kind of work.

I would suggest to self publish your plugin in the new repository:

http://plugins.qgis.org/

You need an osgeo account to log in there.  Once logged in, you can
upload you plugin and it will be made available via the plugin
installer in 1.8/trunk. Incorporating the plugin into QGIS core to
replace the existing tool would probably be difficult since numpy is
not as far as I know a dependency of QGIS.

Note the new repo does not have a very wide circulation yet, but this
will change when it becomes a default repo in QGIS 1.8.

Best regards

Tim

> Cheers and thanks
> Ole Nielsen, Jakarta