[Qgis-developer] Quality assurance

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 13:22:10 EST 2011

Hi!

> So why most respected and established projects follow this route?
> Now QGIS is used very widely in professional contexts, and releasing supposedly
> stable packages with nasty regressions (as it is happening) brings no good to our
> users and reputation.
> I think our QA approach should improve, one way or another.
> All the best.
Yes - the QA should improve.. Thats a fact I am definitely with you..
Regarding "our" problem:
I am using Linux since a very long time - and did never use a
rc-kernel.. and I also don't know anyone using a rc-kernel .. With the
user base of linux-kernel and qgis in mind I only doubt that rc-releases
will bring the effect for qgis we would like it to have (of course maybe
I am wrong and a lot of QGIS users out there want to use a RC).
So from my point of view pushing rc releases will only have the impact
of more work with (my personal opinion) less effect.
But I think this has to be discussed separately elsewhere.

I am quite happy with the release cycle we have ... And I am sure with
every version of 1.7.x it will get more and more stable (with a big
userbase for telling us that something is going wrong).

But again - I have not tested it and probably I am wrong - maybe it's
worth a try.. but from my experiences with the kernel itself our
possible rc will have a small userbase with the effect of - well -
having nearly no effect on the so called "stable" release - which itself
will still include bugs..

just my 2¢
regards
Werner