[Qgis-developer] github vs hub.qgis.org/projects/.../repository

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Dec 16 14:18:26 EST 2011

github has quotas, and lacks a good way to group plugins by independent
authors including their wikis and tickets. We also can't guarantee their
polcies so hub is a backup to ensure our codebase, wiki and tickets.

As others have pointed out there's no reason to not sync your code to
both. I just like the idea of hub holding collectively all the bugs for
all plugins and the main applications in one place with an osgeo login
that enables anyone in the community to file bugs against any part.

In some ways we were trying to discourage the trend that everyone had
their own plugin server (the goal of the plugin site), the source code
was not clearly available (other than releases) and no one knew where to
file bugs.

Hopefully as we start to integrate the plugins site with hub the feature
set will prove useful when communicating not only with other developers
but users, especially power users. To me it's the users and power users
that benefit the most from us hosting our own infrastructure and trying
to make it more user friendly than github which is clearly only for
coders in the know.

Thanks,
Alex