[Qgis-developer] bug stats

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Dec 16 14:33:27 EST 2011

On 12/16/2011 10:16 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all.
> Looking at the redmine stats, I think one good thing for the project would be to
> shoot Faunalia down: me and Giovanni Manghi alone opened about 20% of all tickets
> still open (14% of the total).
> Are we unlucky, or are other users lazy?
> All the best.

One way to think about it is by dividing up the potential bug reporters
into groups:
* People with bugs who have no idea what's wrong and never ask
* People with bugs who ask on the mailing lists
* People with bugs who already are up on the mailing list traffic and
know how to use the bug tracker
* People with bugs who already are up on the mailing list traffic and
know how to use the bug tracker, who also know what to report and don't
fear messing up on a bug report or 2, have the time to adequately gather
bug info and are not core coders
* Core coders

If I had to guess as to the % of users in each of those categories:
70%
23%
5%
2%
0.1%

So yes, lazy is a factor but not the only one. We should think about how
to make finding existing reports easier, better docs on how to deal with
errors for new/normal users, etc. More organized bug hunts to train bug
hunters (I plan to do one at some pt).

Thanks,
Alex

PS: I've experienced several issue where I didn't have time to go back
and try to repeat it in a way that would provide meaningful information.
For example, getting debug info on windows is not straightforward at all
but that is a huge segment of the user base.