[Qgis-developer] Quality assurance

Germán Carrillo carrillo.german at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 07:50:03 EST 2011

> I think this is the exception rather than the rule. I see QGIS adoption
increasing at
> a speedy pace, and in fact eroding the position of several other
programs, both
> proprietary and free. Here in Italy the increase is rather spectacular.

Then I'm relieved, I was just describing the situation in my university.

> I think this is the root of the problem: if you do not want to deal with
your
> problems, why do you expect somebody else to do it for you, and for free?

I consider those are not 'my' problems, I can perfectly keep using the
version I'm using but new users will have to deal with them anyway. By the
way, you omitted the paragraph where I said that some time ago I didn't
expect somebody else to do it for me, I fixed the bugs that were bothering
me.

> I care of the bugs that are a problem for me, either by fixing them
myself or by
> paying someone to do it for you.

That's right, but perhaps another way to care about bugs is filling a
ticket, if I don't care I don't even fill the ticket. I think this is not a
binary decision: either you pay or you fix it. You can also contribute to
the project by reporting bugs, can't you? Additionally, we users expect
developers to be cared for bugs in their own plug-ins, are we wrong at
this?

> To have a proper contest, we should have money to fuel it. So everybody
is encouraged
> to contribute, with their time, donation, or sponsorship.

Ok.

And please don't get me wrong. QGIS devs are great in what they do and I
gratefully acknowledge their effort!

Regards,

Germán

2011/12/17 Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>

> Il 17/12/2011 11:04, Germán Carrillo ha scritto:
>
> > Here in my University, QGIS is seen as a 'buggy' software, so some
> professors and
> > lecturers are not considering it anymore and are choosing proprietary
> software for
> > the exercises.
>
> I think this is the exception rather than the rule. I see QGIS adoption
> increasing at
> a speedy pace, and in fact eroding the position of several other programs,
> both
> proprietary and free. Here in Italy the increase is rather spectacular.
>
> > I myself stopped installing each QGIS new version in my laptop because I
> know there
> > are lots of bugs I don't want to deal with
>
> I think this is the root of the problem: if you do not want to deal with
> your
> problems, why do you expect somebody else to do it for you, and for free?
>
> > predictable way. I've also reported some bugs but nothing seems to
> happen with the
> > report after a while and that discourages users like me. For me it seems
> that the bug
> > doesn't care anyone, not even the author of the module/plug-in.
>
> I care of the bugs that are a problem for me, either by fixing them myself
> or by
> paying someone to do it for you.
>
> > I think you already suggested something like an ongoing contest of bug
> fixes. I thing
> > this simple thing could encourage people to visit the bug tracker and
> see what they
> > can fix. Of course, I don't know whether you have enough time to arrange
> it.
>
> To have a proper contest, we should have money to fuel it. So everybody is
> encouraged
> to contribute, with their time, donation, or sponsorship.
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
> www.faunalia.eu