[Qgis-developer] absolut vs relative paths in qgs files

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 07:06:07 EST 2011

I think it's important to have both, they both have use cases  IMO it would
be good to be able to tell the project how to store each layer, relative
or absolute.  Use case: say I have a drive with my base maps and a folder
structure on a different drive for projects, the base maps server is fixed
but the sub projects can be moved within the main projects folder.

Exampe

Base maps server == \\mymaps\

Main Project Folder
-> BushfireProject
---> FireLayer.shp
---> Tracks.shp
---> Bushfire.qgs

In Bushfire.qgs
./FireLayer.shp
./Tracks.shp
./Bushfire.qgs
\\mymaps\basemaps\propertybase.shp
\\mymaps\basemaps\roads.shp
\\mymaps\basemaps\labels.shp
etc
etc

This way I can move BushfireProject inside another folder,
say BushfireProject2010 while still maintaining relative paths for some
layers and absolute paths for stuff that won't change location.

Main Project Folder
-> BushfireProject2010
---> BushfireProject2010
-----> FireLayer.shp