[Qgis-developer] absolut vs relative paths in qgs files

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Dec 19 08:10:47 EST 2011

 funny - I use mainly relative paths for my projects. All geodata is
 usually linked from a central Postgis database. But relative paths are
 used for images in layouts or .ui files for forms or for scripts.

 Base map data is referenced by embedding groups and layers from a
 central QGIS project (using the new embedded group/layer references).

 I agree that there are use cases and pro/cons for both absolute and
 relative paths, but I think relative paths should be the default as most
 users store the data in the same directory as their .qgs project file
 and want to be able to move that whole directory to a different computer
 where potentially absolute path references would change.

 It think there would be value if one could choose on a per layer base
 whether the path is relative or absolute. This would allow for more
 flexible control than on a per project base.

 Andreas

 On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:41:24 +0100, Anita Graser wrote:
> I certainly cannot talk for everyone but the structure I've seen most
> of the time was:
>
> Keep all map data in a separate data folder. Project files are stored
> in the project folder, which might have to be moved or renamed. Many
> projects use the same base data, which should not be duplicated
> because files are huge.
>
> Relative paths are not an option for most of the use cases in such an
> environment.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Anita
>
>  On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde  wrote:
>
>> On 2011-12-19 13:06, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
>> > I think it's important to have both, they both have use cases
>>  IMO it
>> > would be good to be able to tell the project how to store each
>> layer,
>>
>> Yes, and there is happily :-)
>> -> Project Properties/Save paths
>>
>> It's just that seeing the issue about the wms, I had the feeling
>> that we
>> forced qgis to relative paths while maybe the (silent) majority
>> wanted
>> absolute paths as 'default'....
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Duivenvoorde