[Qgis-developer] New Symbology / OSM/ shapefiles

Mayeul Kauffmann mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Mon Feb 21 17:26:55 EST 2011

Hi again,

 kimaidou  wrote :
> Hi Mayeul and devs,
>
> Mayel, I had a look at your wiki page which describes how to get and
> use OSM data. I think you should speak a bit more about pre-processed
> shapefiles, as it is much easier for people with no server/time/skills
> to open a shapefile in Qgis than setting up a complete OSM
> postgresql/postgis database.

I agree, the postgis solution currently is to complex to follow for the
beginners. But the reason why I am putting this is to show that it is
feasible to have this and that it gives good results. In ticket
http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/3222 I advocate for fast, easy and
beautiful OSM maps with qgis: if we can get fast and beautiful maps in
the first place, then we can work together to make it easy (the ultimate
goal is to make it as easy as with the python plugin or with JOSM).

Mayeul