AW: Re: [Qgis-developer] Hackfest vs. Code Sprint

Düster Horst Horst.Duester at bd.so.ch
Tue Feb 22 03:57:53 EST 2011

'QGIS Community Meeting'
+1

I aggree with Tims statement.

Regards
Horst

Dr. Horst Düster
Stv. Amtschef / Chef Geoinformation

Kanton Solothurn
Bau- und Justizdepartement
Amt für Geoinformation
SO!GIS Koordination
Rötistrasse 4
CH-4501 Solothurn

Telefon ++41(0)32 627 25 32
Mobil   ++41(0)79 511 54 12
Telefax ++41(0)32 627 22 14

mailto:horst.duester at bd.so.ch
http://www.agi.so.ch

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Tim Sutton [mailto:lists at linfiniti.com]
Gesendet am: Dienstag, 22. Februar 2011 09:27
An: Paolo Cavallini
Cc: qgis-developer
Betreff: Re: [Qgis-developer] Hackfest vs. Code Sprint

Hi

Eh what a pity we have to disown the name for the people which gave
rise to FOSS.  If we are going to go PC, why not lets call it the
'QGIS Community Meeting' which should be inclusive enough for all
shapes & sizes. I can see in my crystal ball a future where users self
organise and use the event to show off the work they have been doing
using QGIS, share ideas, and of course help to make the project better
by coding, translating, etc.!

Regards

Tim

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:
> On lun, 2011-02-21 at 11:03 +0000, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
>
>> I thought the idea behind not calling it a "code sprint" was to
>> encourage non-coders (graphic designers, doc writers, testers etc) to
>> participate? Perhaps "Developer Meeting" or "Development Meeting"
>> (subtle difference)?
>
> You may be right. A more generic term could be good.
> In fact, the event could move to a real general QGIS event, putting in
> contiguous days the HF itself (ehm, CS) and an user meeting; I think
> this could encourage more participation of people scared of
development,
> but that could contribute to the project.
> All the best.
> --
> http://www.faunalia.it/pc

 * QGIS programming and support services