[Qgis-developer] pyramids file

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Fri Jan 14 05:06:38 EST 2011

On 01/14/2011 10:43 AM, Micha Silver wrote:
> On 01/14/2011 11:34 AM, Luca Delucchi wrote:
>> 2011/1/14 Ivan Mincik<ivan.mincik at gista.sk>:
>>> On 01/14/2011 09:15 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all.
>>> Creating internal pyramids modifies the original file. Wouldn't it be
>>> better to rename the original file by default? Is there any special
>>> reason not to do so? If not, I can open a ticket for this.
>>> All the best.
>>>
>>> Maybe adding checkbox (default True) to create backup file would be
>>> better.
>>>
>> +1, sometime I prefer have pyramids inside original file.
>>

> I agree. Always renaming to create a backup could become a disk space
> problem.

Just chiming in (as a user): I prefer the option to create external
overviews as default (.ovr), which preserves the original raster, and an
optional checkbox to create internal overviews, eventually with a
warning that this changes the original raster, so the user can make a
backup. Note: recent gdal can also remove the overviews (gdaladdo None
if I recall correctly)
Having a original raster and a separate ovr file imho is cleaner than
having a backup of the original and next to it the original with
internal overviews. And it saves space, too.

just my 2c.

Vincent.