[Qgis-developer] A roadmap to QGIS 2.0

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Jan 18 01:05:56 EST 2011

Hi All

I think its time to start thinking about getting 2.0 'out'. What do
others think? The major goal would be to

- clean up the api and remove cruft / inelegant parts / backwards
compatibility wrappers
- do an overhaul of the api docs and get it to a good state (doxygen wise)
- get rid of old labelling completely
- get rid of old symbology completely
- merge many of the plugins directly into trunk (north arrow, gps,
coordinate capture, delimited text, georeferencer, some form of raster
colours / 1 band raster colour table etc.)
- capitalise on the bug fixing work of SunilRaj from kCube so that his
time is going into stabilising for a 2.0 release
- show the world that we have reached the next level of maturity and
functionality
-

As such I would propose the following time line
(http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Release_Checklists)

Release Checklist 1.7 - Not yet named 	1 April 2011
  Introduce threaded rendering, raster on the fly projection, 3D globe mode
Release Checklist 1.8 - Not yet named 	1 July 2011
  Full GUI freeze for 2.0, no more old symbology, old labelling
Release Checklist 2.0 - Not yet named 	1 September 2010
  API changes finalised, all deprecation wrappers removed, API docs tidied up.

The timing would allow us to have 2.0 ready to make a splash at the
next FOSS4G conference.

Any comments? Does this work for others? Any other major additions
folks think should be in place before QGIS goes out?

I look forward to your feedback,

Regards

Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services